BOULDER, COLORADO /
ENGINEERING/RESEARCH – ELECTRONICS /
We are searching for talented individuals who are driven to tackle the most ambitious goal of our time – building the computer hardware that enables the development of safe artificial general intelligence. See more at fathomradiant.co/aboutus
In our people, we above all value kindness, a scout mindset, a focus on improvement, and prioritising to get the right things done. We aim to help build one of the most transformative technologies in the world, with massive social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we are actively striving to have a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
We strongly prefer candidates who can be based in Boulder or the Bay Area. We will consider remote work from other locations for candidates with strong relevant background.
We are looking for a Photonics System Engineer highly experienced in the theory, design, and implementation of photonic integrated circuits (PICs) for our product. In this role, you will work closely across all our teams, building a network for large scale ML systems to enable training models with trillions of parameters.
Areas of contribution:
- Design and evaluation of various photonic integrated circuit (PIC) concepts for datacom
- Evaluation of foundries, PDKs, vendors for capabilities and system compatibility
- Design implementation of a PIC into a larger electronic system
- Link budget analysis across optical and electrical domains
Requirements (necessary skills for this role):
- Experience with entire PIC system design for datacom/telecom and its integration, such as the knowledge of PIC loss mechanisms, loss budgets, and their correlation to bit-error rate tests (BERT) as well as integration of external and internal laser sources to the PIC.
- Experience with PIC simulation and EDA tools, ideally at least in a few of the following: Lumerical, RSoft, Photon Design, Mode and 2.5D for FDTD analysis; INTERCONNECT, OptSim, Cadence, Luceda, or similar for PIC design.
- Laboratory optics experience to test and characterize PICs such as fiber attach and alignment for PIC testing
- Experience with general optical lab equipment, including sources, power meters, and other general optical instrumentation
- Developing and executing test plans
- Experience with taking a PIC from concept through design to product
Nice-to-haves (we will prioritize candidates that also have these skills):
- Knowledge of electronic integrated circuit (EIC) design and integration with PICs
- Experience in working with foundries, PDKs and similar vendors
- Experience with PIC packaging and fiber attach
$120,000 – $200,000 a year
For all roles, we target market salaries, with an additional benefits package. Our comprehensive benefits include startup equity and medical expenses coverage (including extra coverage for employees with a family). The salary in our offers are determined based on years of experience, living expenses (for remote roles) and our internal salaries.